Thursday, October 28, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I came up with this and then found a few recipes. It is totally vegan and taste awesome! It also stores well in the fridge so you can take pieces of it to work and zap. 

Okay ... from memory .....:)
 
*       Spray an 8 x 8 pyrex baking dish. If you go bigger, just double the recipe.
*       Dump in 2 1/2 cups Quaker Large sized 100% oats.
*       Add in a handful of raisins, cranberries or whatever dried fruit you like.
*       I cut up one peeled apple and mixed it in.
*       Add about one tablespoon sugar just for a little sweetness. Could use Agave or honey
        if you wanted. I use raw sugar.
*       About a teaspoon of cinnamon ... I just shook it until it looked right. I like more than some.
*       Add a handful of shredded coconut ... not required, but this added a lot more sweetness 
        so you are okay with the reduced sugar.
*       I used three cups of vanilla almond milk ... I would add a little more next time because 
        it was drier than what you got because I put a little more in the bottom of the dishes when 
        I packaged it. You can use any milk ... but I like the taste of the almond milk with this .... 
        Especially the vanilla. I thought it might be good with some unsweetened applesauce
        added too. I found a recipe that called for oatmilk too.
*       I sprinkled some granola I had on hand in the cupboard over the top. I used Grapenuts 
        last time and that worked well too, but not as sweet. You could also sprinkle a little more 
        coconut over the top if you like that taste.
*       Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to one hour. I went longer because I like it a little crispy on top.
You may want to add more vanilla as in pure vanilla ... a teaspoon at most?
It should be the consistency of a bread pudding ... if too dry, add more liquid in the bottom of 
the dish and let it absorb it.
 
Yummy for these cool mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment