Monday, March 28, 2011

Blow a hole in your shorts Red-Hot White Bean Chili!

I was sitting there getting poked by my acupuncturist trying to decide on what to make for dinner. Richard wanted meat or something hearty, but not the same as the soups I had been making ... so I pulled out my Vegan Fire and Spice cookbook and went hunting for something that would fit the bill. Tonight I made Red-Hot White Bean Chili ... and it is  Fire and Spice all at once ... and pretty yummy too.

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Carrot Chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped
2 Large Garlic Cloves Minced
2 Fresh Jalapenos seeded and minced
3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 Teaspoon cayenne
1/8 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I used the ones for chili)
1 cup water (I used vegetable broth)
3 cab Cannelli beans drained and rinsed (I used white Kidney Beans because that is what I could find)
2 Scallions (green onions) minced

Heat the oil in a large stock pot and add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper and carrot and heat covered until soft stirring occasionally (about ten minutes). While that is cooking measure out the spices and toss in once the veggies are soft, stir and cook about two minutes. Add the water or broth and the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add the beans, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes while flavors blend.  Serve with green onions and a dab of vegan sour cream. We also had some organic tortilla chips with it ... to die for. Wear shorts so you don't destroy your sofa or chairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment