Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Finally something to post!

I haven't posted lately because a) I was working my tail off at work and didn't have a lot of time and b) I had kind of fallen into a rut with food I had found that I liked. Now Richard has decided he will try what I cook, so tonight a new recipe is born.
Tonight I am making a soup called "almost instant Thai corn soup". The picture looked awesome ... so I figured I would give it a whirl. Recipe follows .... and it is really fast and easy!

Dice up one red bell pepper and put it in a soup pot ... I used my Kitchen Aid porcelain small sized dutch oven.
Add 3 garlic cloves minced and the white parts of 4-5 scallions sliced thin.
The recipe calls to saute this mixture in olive oil, but I have found that olive oil gets a little bitter above some temperatures so I used coconut oil ... kind of fits with the meal anyway.

After the mixture is soft, add 2 cans of lite coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups rice milk, 2 teaspoons of good curry powder and the green tops of the scallions.  Then add 1/4teapsoon of red Thai curry paste mixed with a tiny bit of water.

You are going to want to add salt and pepper to taste ... it needed a bit of salt. I also put in some cayenne pepper and let it simmer a bit ... helped a lot. I think next time I will also chop a few potatoes about half an inch square and add them to make it more of a chowder.

Heat to a slow simmer, cover and let it cook through on low for 5-10 minutes. I served mine with a loaf of rustic bread that was full of garlic gloves. I figured I wasn't getting kissed tonight anyway, so why not go all the way.

Okay ... soup was totally easy and delicious! Top it with a little chopped cilantro and you have it made! Richard even ate it ... life is full of surprises, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment