Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Azuki Beans with Kabocha Squash by Alicia Silverstone!

So tonight I tried a recipe out of my new cookbook from my darling daughter for my birthday this week. It was the Azuki Beans with Kabocha Squash ... and I have to tell you I was a little worried after soaking the beans overnight with a huge piece of Kombu (sea vegetable that is like a really thick piece of seaweed). The squash was hard to cut and I decided to peel it ... not sure why, but I thought it would look nicer even though I used an organic squash. It was a pain to peel, but once the dish was done, with a little salt and pepper, it was all so well worth it ... it was totally and so utterly good! I had a bowl full, then seconds. I also shared with the neighbor who is vegetarian and leaning towards veganism ... he loved it too.  Richard was at class tonight, so I felt safe trying something different, but I think he would have liked it too.

It makes a nice thick bean and squash mixture that ... would also be great in burritos or whole wheat wraps. Might even add a little avocado next time and maybe some caramelized onions.

Instead of posting the recipe, I am putting the link to it from www.thekindlife.com which is the website Alicia Silverstone started to share her Vegan goodies. There are lots of good recipes and ideas on the site, so check it out. The website says to use 4 six inch pieces of Kombu, but the book just says a 4-6 inch piece which is what I used ... not sure which is correct, but this worked!

This recipe can be found at:

http://www.thekindlife.com/user_recipe/view/10014/38/1

Have fun and eat healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment