Monday, February 7, 2011

Lentil Tacos ... one of my favorites!

My wonderful daughter-in-law, Peggy, made these for me for the first time last year when I was in Seattle for vacation and I loved them. They are easy to make, taste incredible and are a really adaptable meal because when you have extra it works fantastic for leftovers or lunch roll ups.

So ......

Take a cup full of chopped onions - I use two small onions or one large, depending on what I have, ya know I very rarely measure anything anymore unless it is liquid, rice or beans.
A couple of stalks of celery chopped and three cloves of garlic that have been minced or pressed.
Saute in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. After the veggies start to soften stir in a tablespoon of chili powder and a teaspoon on cumin. Next add the lentils and stir them a bit to mix. Add two cups of veggie broth, again I love Imagine brand ... let it come to a boil while stirring, then turn the heat lower to simmer and put the lid on so the liquid doesn't evaporate.

After twenty minutes take the lid off and  stir to fluff it up a bit.
Next add one cup good salsa ... the hotter the salsa, the hotter the lentil mix.
Let that simmer a few minutes to blend, then serve it on tortillas with more chopped up tomatoes, lettuce diced onions and a little vegan sour cream (I like the Tofutti brand). 

No comments:

Post a Comment